Happy 4th


For the fourth the only plans we had were for Wes to grill some ribs. Not bad plans as his ribs are good. We ended up inviting a few friends after church on Sunday night to join us and had a lot of fun enjoying their company. The big firework show at Gas Works Park didn't start till 1020pm so our family was out even though we live so close! It starts so late because it gets dark so late. Today is the only day of the year I want the sun to set earlier so I can watch the girls faces light up in wonder as they see big fireworks. Some of our neighbors did set off a few fireworks so we were able to show them what a firework is....if you looked at just the right time through the buildings you could see enough to make the girls say "ooo" and "ahhh."
We love America. There is only so little I have actually gotten to see of this country and we would love to do more road trips in the future. But the aggressive political rants online, terrorism, hate, the world turning from Truth, and more make me think all is falling apart. It is overwhelming. Then as I am reading Ruth and learning the history of what was happening during her time, I am reassured this is nothing new.  And God is still in control of this country and the world thankfully. The words "freedom" and "rights" are always thrown around defined by people's opinions, but so thankful Jesus says "if you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." True freedom, people. 
Today I will enjoy the moments with friends and family enjoying watermelon, sweet corn, ribs, pop-its, teaching Leighton about American history and the flag, and all things red, white and blue! 

Comments

Popular Posts