Can a Wedding Anniversary Present be Food?

I have never liked to cook. I have never found much joy in making anything besides something sweet, ever. I enjoy trying new foods at restaurants or when someone else is cooking but never had much interest in making my own…. requires to much planning, shopping, so many ingredients…etc. If I were fixing for myself only I would be eating because I needed to, not because I enjoyed it. Wes pretty much has done most of cooking/grilling our entire marriage. The dude wanted to eat I guess. I will fix things for the kids but it is also exhausting to try to think of things for them to eat. I want them to eat healthy but it can't be complicated. I don't have time for that. So…. all that to say I think I found my happy spot in the kitchen for now! Please hold me accountable to this! 

About a month ago, Melissa and I went to a cookbook store in Fremont as they were having an author speak and make a few samples from her cookbook. Her name is Sarah Alder and her book is Simply Real Health. She is from Seattle and pretty much sold me on what she does. It is not rocket science but it taste good, healthy and simple. I didn't actually purchase a gift for Wes for our wedding anniversary but looking back over the past weeks, I think this has to be my present to him. He continues to brag and encourage me just so Ill keep cooking I think (hopefully he likes the food too). 

Here are some of the pictures of stuff we have tried...
egg salad in an avacado (girls at it on bread) 

beans and sweet potatoes we put over chicken (girls ate the roasted sweet potatoes and chicken separate)

we have been keeping a jar of this homemade yogurt with chia seeds in frig and all of us eat it over granola or I have freezer it into popsicles for girls 
they taste like vanilla ice cream 

refreshing salads with chick peas 

mango/pinapple salsa over fish 

we all love the pancakes made with only eggs and bananas (little cinnamon and baking powder) 
everyone likes the granola bites too


egg and zucchini muffins (like mini-quiche) 
peanut butter cookies using no flour or sugar with ice cream in between were a hit
Wes on the other hand did get me an actual gift for our anniversary…. last week I got out my old oil paint stuff (it had been 8 years!) as I was looking to do a little art therapy. I used my old brushes with dried paint. He watched me struggle through this little plant picture so he got me a new set for our anniversary. Hopefully I will have some time to relax and continue this hobby in the future and not let another 8 years go by.

He also planned us a date last night. We had Grami here so we took advantage of not paying an hourly sitter and stayed gone for 5 hours…. playing putt putt, eating dinner at Westward, dessert later and then just talking and people watching till we were physically tired.
we tied at mini golf 
 Happy anniversary to this self-less man. Thanks for asking me 8 years ago and following through with it 7 years ago. You are the best.


Comments

Popular Posts