Gratitude over Expectations


Fremont Canal 

Our summer looked different than I had planned. But isn't that the they way it usually goes? I think I know best and I idolize going camping and exploring outside the city when the weather is nice. This summer we had to defer those dreams of getting away from traffic, people and city life and try to make plans which involved being in the city. I did not feel comfortable driving more than 10-ish miles from Seattle Children's which is about 30 min radius of our house with Levi just yet. It may sound overprotective but it is just my comfort level.  So instead of ferry rides, campgrounds in the mountains and such we have spent our days walking a lot around the neighborhood. We have enjoyed that we have had a lot of visitors to help break up some of the time but occasionally I feel trapped because of the leash I have put on. I know this is just a time period so I am trying to put gratitude above exceptions. Gratitude over expectations. Gratitude over expectations. I am thankful for the fact that I can feel like I escape here and there by taking the kids to the lake or walking down by the canal. 
Negative... we have spent way too much money at Cafe Ladro. I got use to going there as an event to get out of the house. Positive... the girls and I have become good friends with the baristas. 
We have resorted to taken our pictures in front of the marijuana dispensary on our street. The funny thing is I only thought "cool background' one day after church when I made them stop for a picture. It is sad it didn't even phase me till later because we walk pass it multiple times a day. Also in walking distance is many ice cream shops. A couple stopped me the other day and said "y'all sure do like your ice cream!" I guess since there is not many multi-kid families in the neighborhood,  when you see the same 5 people walking around with 4 ice cream cones multiple nights you remember them! 
Fainting Goat? or Blue Bird? 
walking home from the library with their noses stuck in newly checked out books
We did take the girls to swim with friends at Matthews Beach. They enjoyed it and I enjoyed the view.
--
So I researched and found the only campground within like 15 miles of Seattle (most are about 1-2 hours away at least to get into the mountains). We packed up our camping gear and set out to camp on Lake Sammanish for one night. When we got there is was at best a decent RV park in a neighborhood. So we just enjoyed it for what it is...a day trip to swim at the lake and picnic. We didn't set up camp but came home. I might have cried a little  because my gratitude was not greater than my expectations that day. I was sad that the one time we tried to get out it was a bust. I was sad because the girls were so excited to camp. We ended up doing s'mores for them in our little courtyard over the grill. Amazingly, Leighton says "today was the best day because we got to have s'mores". That is all my little sweet tooth cared about and thank goodness she doesn't hold it over my head that I promised camping and didn't come through.

so thankful to have this little face with us at the beach
Continually praying for contentment and repenting from bitterness and idols. Thankful for those four very special people I get to do life with whether it is adventuring or just sitting in our living room playing board games. They are pretty neat. Gratitude over expectations. 


Comments

Popular Posts