One Year Ago Today...


Whew. Its a weird emotion...reflecting on the past year that is....I don't know whether to cry or smile.  Not our move out west, new job, etc but solely on the fact that Wes and I have had a child now for a whole year. Thinking back to the way I felt on May 23, 2011 (the unknown...the expectations....cluelessness... loving her but not knowing her....) to having our world changed forever the next day. 
What took place at this time last year in Birmingham:  
2 days before she was born (Sunday May 22nd) I was huge!
Monday, May 23, 2011
6 pm Wes and I ate Mexican food and frozen yogurt
8 pm We walked all around our neighborhood and apartment complex
9 pm Went to bed 
Tuesday May 24, 2011
5 am Woke up to hip pain; called doctor and she said the baby (who still didnt have a name) probably dropped
530 am Went back to sleep 
700 am Woke up and got ready for work (still having hip pain)
800 am Stop at Chickfila on my way to work
830 am Call Kevin and wish him a Happy Birthday and call work and tell them I am not coming in because my back and hips are hurting (I hadnt taken a day off from work during my residency so I thought one day would be fine) 
845 am Back at home alone waiting on Ashley to drive up from Montgomery (Wes already left for work) and trying to get comfortable on couch but back pain keeps occurring
900 am Call Wes and ask him to come home because I would just feel better if he is here since I feel so bad
915 am Wes arrives home; we try different techniques like sitting on a ball, getting in bath tub, walking, laying, etc to relieve back pain but nothing helps (still no contractions on stomach; can not really time the pain that happens in lower back so I am not convinced I'm in labor)
1015 am I threw up (those Chicken Mini's) and Wes insisted on calling the doctor now; Doctor says come to her office and she will check to see if Im dilated
1030 am We leave the house with luggage that was pre-packed; 2 min after pulling onto street I tell Wes I feel like I have to push; We then drive in emergency lane with flashers to Labor and Delivery at Hospital instead of going to doctor's office
1040 am We walking into the labor and deliver department; tell nurses at station I have to push; they believe me when I walk toward a room and hop up on a table on my own
1042 am Nurses see the baby's head when I am on table so they call my doctor STAT (her office is next to hospital) and tell me not to push
1047 am I can not help but push; I push once then again; water breaks and I hear her cry for first time. She arrived. (Dr Barron walked in a minute later) 
1st of many pictures of our sweet girl (only one we got in labor and delivery room)
I was thankful the labor occurred mostly at home and went fast. I am thankful I was able to have her naturally without any IVs, medications, fluids, c-section, etc. But at the same time I am fearful I will need to read a "How -to- deliver -at -home" book before Baby Moore #2! It stresses us out to think about the "what if" we hadnt made it to hospital when we did, or "what if" Wes had not come home when he did. I am glad God was in control and not me! 
Naming her Leighton Elizabeth a couple hours after she was born from a list of three names we had narrowed it down to
welcome to the world, sweet cheeks! 6 lbs 15 oz and 20 inches long
She is such a joy and the best thing that has happened to Wes and I besides our salvation from the Lord.  I still do not know quite how to feel right now. I am enjoying her more and more each day as she says more words, starting to run around the house, and doing motions to songs. It is getting more fun as she can do more things but the sweetness of a newborn should never be taken for granted. I hope to continue enjoying every stage. Thanks for letting me reflect. I believe it has been therapeutic for me write (type) this out. 

May 24th is a great day because.... Happy birthday to my friend Lauren Johnson, happy birthday to my father-n-law, Kevin, and happy 1st birthday to Leighton! Also please pray for my for my friend Amber as she is getting induced today and her baby on the way, Norah Kate! 

Comments

  1. Anonymous5/24/2012

    Casey, I have cried at all my kids first birthday's. It is such a bag full of crazy emotions. I thought about it on my birthday and Kevin stated it also, this day is as special for you as it is for Leighton. You choose life for her and have been with her evey step of the way. We celebrate you (and Wes) today also.

    Love you three,
    Cammie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cammie! You are too sweet. Looking forward to seeing you next week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts