World's Greatest S.A.H.D.

               What is Wes up to? I thought you might wonder what my better half does since I have filled you all in on my job but not his.  S.A.H.D. or Stay-At-Home-Dad is his current position. I guess Leighton is the boss? I have to say that he is awesome at it and she has not complained once. I do not know how long he will be able to stay at home with her but I hope he is cherishing it while it last. (If you do not want to hear me brag on Wes then you should probably not read the rest of this post. I feel like I have not shared how wonderful he is with Leighton and I would like to take this moment and give credit where credit is due. )
             Wes is busy. He keeps Leighton 5 days a week while I am at work for about 8 hours by himself (that includes roughly two feedings and two naps). He is taking classes to finish his Masters in Divinity online. He helps out with housework, cooking, running errands, laundry, etc. He leads a weekly bible study at our house for the Hallows Church small group. He devotes what free-time he has to helping in any way possible with the Hallows Church and trying to meet people in community to build relationships. He recently started a meet up group through www.meetup.com called Fremont Iron Dads (named after Proverbs 27:17). He started it as a way to meet other men in the neighborhood. He has about 30 members and about 5 regular guys who have been coming to events like meeting at coffee shops or going to the zoo. I am very proud of his positive, proactive attitude and the patience and love he displays for Leighton.
            I thought I would wonder what the two of them talk about all day or do.... but if any of you have been around Leighton and Wes for a short time you know he is constantly kissing her, reading to her, working with her on crawling or whatever skill is next, telling her what he is doing and describing what things are, playing rocket ship, acting silly just to get giggles, taking her for walks or the library for story time, and the list goes on and on. Most recently he is putting Leighton through Your Baby Can Read curriculum. I will not be surprised if Leighton needs a Kindle for her 1 year old birthday  : ) (Sorry, Wes is not for hire as a "manny"... he is all mine)
            Besides Wes being an awesome Daddy, he is a wonderful husband and a great spiritual leader to Leighton and I. As you know, we are living in Seattle to help with a church plant (if you don't know see Why Move) Well I have personally have been struggling with selfish thoughts about wanting to be closer to family, wishing student loans were paid off, wanting to buy a house, yada yada.... instead of having my thoughts focused on Christ. (Psalm 139; Psalm 19: 7-14) I let my mind wonder to things we could be doing such as going on awesome vacations or saving up for a down payment on a house if we were not living in Seattle.  But through guidance from Wes, wisdom from my Dad, and mostly scripture I am reminded about Matthew 6: 19-21,  1 Peter 5: 8-11 and definitely the commandment we all are given in Matthew 28: 16-20. Oh how I want to be a part of Christ's redemptive story.
             I tear up thinking about Wes' love for Christ and I am so proud of the way he leads his life, the way he loves people, and the way he cares for Leighton and I. There is not a career, salary, or job he could have that would compare to what he doing right now. I would not trade that for any gift, vacation, or new home.
          I appreciate you letting me share about Wes and air out my struggles! Much love. 

Comments

  1. Oh Casey....I love your humble, Christ-honoring attitude about everything you're going through right now.....I can't say I don't struggle with those same thoughts about different things. But, I know the Lord is using you guys in such a great way...and your testimony is a great reminder that we will be all the more satisfied when we delight in the Lord and trust Him to provide. Miss you guys so much! Give Cheeks a hug for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. Ill give Cheeks two hugs from you. Miss ya'll.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts