Explore PNW: Portland

Well the parents came in this week and it allowed Wes and I to slip away to Portland for a few nights. We decided to do a shared 30th birthday celebration in Sept since I turned 30 last month and Wes does in Oct. We choose Portland because we have never been, its semi close (~3 hours) and seemed like a place easier to visit without kids. I jokingly put on instagram that it was "By grace and grandparents" we were in Portland. I totally mean it. Thanks to mom and dad for tag-teaming the girls for a good 2 nights and 3 days and thanks to friends and family for praying. What a gift of common grace to have you all pray for me not to be anxious and relax and enjoy the time with just Wes. We have only been away from the girls together for 1 night previously so this was a step for us.

Anyways we basically ate our way through Portland. The city was a lot smaller than Seattle but it definitely reminded me of where we live. Many of you might have seen the show Portlandia. I think it does fit into that to some extent. Ive seen bumperstickers that say "Keep Portland Weird". I didn't find it weird or a culture shock but I think that is because I have lived in Fremont/Ballard area for the last 4 years and what I saw of Portland reminded me of these 2 neighborhoods. 

We took a lot of friends suggestions and ate locally, not that I even saw one chain restaurant while I was there anyway. Recommendations if you go…. We loved Tasty and Alder (down from our hotel, Sentinel). You must go to the Screen Door for breakfast/brunch! Great southern food! We had Blue Star donuts. They were good but I think I like Top Pots better. Fireside for lunch on NW 23rd Ave, the shopping street, was yummy as well. But the ice cream from Salt & Straw nailed it for an afternoon pick-me-up! Lastly I would recommend the Little Big Burger for a late, smaller dinner. Share the truffle fries if you are there, tasty but too many for one person! As you can see the trip revolved around food. I think I out ate Wes this trip.

If we weren't eating or planning our next meal, we did some napping and tourist activities. We went to the famously, huge Powell's bookstore. Of course we got the kids a book and ourselves some mugs. We did a little shopping since it is tax free in Oregon. Well I should say I got some boots and Wes didn't really get anything…NW 23rd street is a great, quaint shopping district. 

We did take a tour of the Pittock Mansion. It was built in 1914 by one of Oregon's first and most influential families. I am so fascinated by that time period and love history so I found it interesting. It was a great way to learn how the city of Portland came to be. The front lawn had a nice view looking over Portland as well. 

On our trip to and from Portland, Wes might have enjoyed himself more because we listened to American Sniper book-on-tape, by Navy SEAL Chris Kyle. Wes has been fascinated by SEALs since we vacationed in Coronado, CA and it was amplified after we watched the movie, American Sniper last week. 

Comments

Popular Posts