Seattle's Palate

Over the past week, I have been awe struck by the changing leaves in the city. Fall is pretty. I had been so bummed that summer ended in Sept and the sun disappeared that I forgot how pretty fall is in the city. Yes, we have been doing some fall activities but it has also been very gray and rainy lately.  I was complaining that the beautiful summer was over I couldn't see the gorgeousness in front of me. Let me just say colorful leaves on a gray sky backdrop with evergreen trees and moss everywhere is nice. I was  also thinking how the fall here is actually more symbolic of Seattle than even the lovely summers that everyone raves over. I think it is because you are not guaranteed a drizzle free day so the pressure of trying to fill your weekends with camping trips and evenings with going to the park till 10pm are off. I think deep down Seattlites enjoy knowing its going to get dark by 6pm and likely be gray, chilly and damp so Ill just go get coffee, read a book and stay inside. But by the time April comes we have all suffered long enough and are dying for those warm, summer days that I see people wearing shorts if it is 55 degrees and sunny in the Spring. Just to be clear on what happens here, it rarely gets below 40 degrees all throughout the winter, snow is rare and the city shuts down but will probably happen at least one week. NYC and Chicago get more inches of rainfall than Seattle per year but we are still known as the rainy city due to more days than not from Nov-April being gray and drizzly (like a rainforest). The peak time to come enjoy the outdoors here for visitors is July- Sept but like I said, the changing leaves with a dark rich green backdrop (because the grass never dies and actually looks better in the rainy season) is pretty awesome Oct- Nov. Below are a few pictures from our walk yesterday….
The other thought Ive had about the fall here that makes me think it actually defines Seattlites is the color palate outside is the colors people wear here year-round as well. Muted colors of dark green, deep red, navy, mustard yellow, brown, off-white, black, etc are the colors in clothing I see everywhere. Toboggans can also be seen year-round with short-sleeve shirts.  Rarely do you see anything bright, frilly or southern besides the neon green with navy of a Seahawks jersey. I have noticed the kids and ours wardrobes morphing into that same fall palate. Wes owns a ton of flannel too :) Below is a fall day at the zoo. Sadie was super excited about the gorillas and leaves. '
Below are pictures I found that I thought captured fall here (disclaimer I found this online and they are not mine). As you can tell I desperately want you all to be able to capture what I am seeing :)
 The trees next to the water really get me...


 Trees and a city.
 Coffee on every corner (this one is at the end of our street) and the outside chairs that are usually full in the summer are empty! Everyone inside reading or on computer.
 Blanket of leaves under tall, tall trees..

 The gray….
 Crowded coffee shops...
 Sometimes I drive through UW on the way home from work because its pretty...
 Have a good day.

Comments

Popular Posts