Whats the Christmas Gift?

As Leighton is getting older, her natural consumer mind set is beginning to show more and more (just like most people's). We have an internal fight going on to not WANT WANT WANT whats advertised on TV, what our friend has, what the celebrity has, etc on daily basis. It makes it harder around Christmas when that is what our world sells. It sells Christmas as a time to get and give more things. Giving is good don't get me wrong but it is always about giving things isn't it? What is the gift to be giving? I think God already gave us the gift. The gift of His Son. So how do I communicate that to the girls?  I have to help a 3 year old's mind  learn that though she can't see Jesus he is real and all the make believe Christmas holiday cheer stuff like Santa, Reindeer, Frosty and Elves are pretend. I think it makes it very confusing for kids. How would I tell her this jolly old man is going to come into our house and leave presents for her but the next day on Christmas tell her that is not what Christmas is really about, its about celebrating Jesus's birth. Should I make Jesus compete with Santa? Seems like a lot of work for something Ill end up trying to undo. Anyway I would love to hear others thoughts and ways their family celebrate Christmas and the days leading up to it! Ideas are more than welcomed.

I found these free coloring sheets that the kids can do for each day in the month of December. For advent coloring pages CLICK HERE and a book that might be good called the Unwrapping the Greatest Gift by Ann Voskamp. 

Also this year I think we may try the FOUR GIFT idea. It is where you try to limit excess by giving the kids only 4 gifts that fit into the category of Something you WANT, Something you NEED, Something to WEAR, and Something to READ 
Ive also heard of people doing the 3 -gift rule referring Jesus receiving 3 gifts from the wise men. You could model your kids' list after the Wise Men and give a “gold” present, or something a child would want and treasure, like a favorite toy; a “frankincense” present, or a gift that will be used in worship or spiritual life, like a Bible; and a “myrrh” present, which is something for the body, like clothing or shoes.

It could be hard for me because I actually enjoy buying gifts for people, especially the kids. But at the same time it will be good to just know Im focusing on categories and I am limited to 4 things. I mean if I can get out of my 1st world tunnel vision I will realize that if I never gave the girls anything but food, bed to sleep in, and an education they would have more than the majority of kids in the world. Perspective. 
Anyways, thanks to all of you who shopped my Noonday Trunk Show. We had a fun time with coworkers at the party. If you are buying gifts for sisters, daughters, moms, aunts, friends or want something for yourself then it is not too late to do some Fair Trade shopping! Purchase with Purpose till Nov 11th via http://ashleytitus.noondaycollection.com and type in "jenn and casey" at check out under trunk show name!  Okay that was my last shameless plug :) 
Here are some of my favorite items 

And these are even under $30! A journal, wrap bracelets,  unique bracelets and arm warmers…











Comments

Popular Posts