Grandad 1936- 2013


         One of the wisest men I know passed away today, my grandfather. He suffered from Alzheimer's disease which is  a sad disease to everyone else but glad that Grandad was not sad or suffering. My grandmother passed away several years ago so it is neat to think that he went from not knowing she was gone to getting to see her and Jesus today. I cant even imagine. I could go on and on about how Grandad was beyond level headed and besides being smart he had more common sense than most. He was witty and could write funny poems. He enjoyed hunting and camping and anything opposite of sitting still. Most importantly his faith was sound. I am glad that he also helped shape my dad into the man he is today. I know Dad looked to Grandad a lot as an example of what a husband and father should resemble.
           I said goodbye to him several years ago it seems due to the Alzheimer's because he has not been the grandfather I grew up with for the past 5 + years. But  I am sad my kids wont get to know him and sad for Mom, Sherry and Gary as it was their dad. I only hate that I cant be there for them.  I know he would have understood that I cant fly at 37 weeks pregnant. I think Grandad's words would have been "well she is right where she is suppose to be" as that is what he would tell Mom even in the past year when she would say that she missed us being far away in Seattle. He still had sound advice even if he couldnt remember the day of the week. I am happy he spent his life serving God and influencing others. I know he would want anyone talking about him to focus on his God rather than calling him a good man but I am still proud he was my grandfather.

Leighton and Grandad checking each other out at her 1st Birthday in 2012
Grandad and I in 1986

1st time Grandad took Mom to Smokey Mountains in 1960 

Last time Grandad went to Smokey's, Mom got to take him 2008. 
Grandad served with the Gideons for several years so if you want to do something nice for Mom, Sherry or Gary I think Grandad would have preferred paying for bibles to be sent out. Click here for the link to donate bibles in his memory. Thanks!

Comments

Popular Posts