Year 1 in Seattle has taught me ....

One year ago today we landed in Seattle... with the help of friends in Birmingham we loaded up the POD and started driving north to visit family and friends in TN/KY a couple of weeks before our arrival out west. Contrary to popular belief I wasn't very nervous about the road trip even though we had a 5 month old because we had allowed ourselves time to travel slow and had places lined up to stay. (If you missed the road trip blogs you can click HERE) I was concerned that we were going to arrive in Seattle without a place to live and have to do intense searching while we stayed at a friends house.  Basically I didnt know what to expect at this time last year. I had a job but we didnt have a place to live. I was excited for a new adventure and to be apart of the Hallows Church but very sad to leave friends in Birmingham and family in KY/TN. I mean all I kept thinking was Washington State, that is so far! 2800+ miles!

But we did make it and God did provide us a place to live. He has provided me a clinical pharmacist job even though I wasnt originally hired to do that, and now Wes a job.

What have we learned over the past year....
It is so fall!
  1. It pays to become good friends with Starbucks employees. Wes and I have consumed WAY to much coffee. Its what you do here for socialization, its the reward I get at work for working, its the way we meet people in our neighborhood, excuses, excuses but that Pumpkin Spice Latte sure does bring a little joy to my heart. Nonetheless we have contributed to much money to the Starbucks empire that I do not feel guilty when one of my friends who works there makes me a free drink or gives us a bag of beans : ) 
  2. The state of Washington = outdoor activities and very active people. As you can tell from post Explore WA there is ample beautiful scenery that we took advantage of during the Seattle summer....which also did not disappoint. We are looking forward to taking advantage of some other drivable places next summer... Canada? Oregon perhaps?
  3. Deciphering between compost, trash, recyclables is possible and can become apart of our everyday life. 
many choices! but at least the bins usually have pictures :) 
4. People want community. I dont know if it is because I am intentionally trying to seek relationships and notice it or if it is just more prevalent in Seattle but people here are constantly trying to engage with others. There is some type of group for everyone... book clubs, stay -at-home mom yoga groups, sword fighting groups, hula hoop classes, and even stay-at-home dad groups on meetup.com can flourish as evident through Wes' Fremont Iron Dad group. 
5. I'm selfish with my money, time, energy, etc. I am learning what it means for the first time to sacrifice for the Lord. Not a week of my time to a mission trip once a year or Sunday mornings for worship but daily living for Christ in an effort to become Holy is something that is hard to see happening for me! As you know I am honest with my struggles on here and it is truly going to be a sanctification process that only God's grace can make possible.  
sweet hug from Matilda to Leighton for their last Sunday at church
 (Sorry it is blurring)
6. Support of friends is crucial. Friends become family if you let them. It would be so much harder to be away from familiar faces if we did not have such awesome people that have come alongside the Hallows Church to be apart of the plant. Some families moved from Birmingham specifically to be apart of the Hallows like us but far more have just joined in the efforts. We help each other with babysitting, moving, meals when  someone has a baby, places to stay for visitors, prayer partners, and also just friends to hang out with! We have become so close I dont want to see anyone move. One of the families we have come to love will be moving to Louisiana this week for work and though I am excited for them, selfishly I really dont want them to go! The Reegs will be greatly missed. They are an incredible and generous family who even opened there home to us before they met us. I'm having a hard time saying goodbye. It has been very easy to get attach to our church body here. 
7. Being a parent is the best thing ever. Leighton never gets old and each day I work, I am working as efficiently as I can in order to get off work to see her! I could talk about her for hours so I'll spare you and just say...she is awesome. 
8. Seattle has two seasons:  45-65 degrees with light rain or just gray skies versus 70-85 degrees no humidity with blue skies and sunshine....very moderate weather overall with not a big swing in being too hot or too cold. I have found beauty in those gray days... like Im in a cozy rainforest with all the greenery and bodies of water surrounding us (is that hippy talk?)
9. Walkability has become a priority. It will be hard to give up being able to walk to restaurants, parks, local businesses/shops, grocery, Sunday markets, lake, trails, coffee, etc. if we ever buy a place in Seattle's suburbs (because we cant afford one where we rent) or if we move out of Seattle. It is something to be treasured for sure. I now understand why people can argue for a 1000 sq ft condo in a walkable area versus a 3000 ft sq house with a yard in a newly developed neighborhood without conveniences. 
10. I'd do it over again! If you are asking the question if I would move here again if I knew what it would have been like 1 year ago. I would. Yes sometimes you can get home sick (but our parents have been out here a ton... I told my mom today that if she saw Leighton once a month in Bham on a weekend that would be 24 days a year and in one year out here she has seen her 7 times for 4-7 days each so that is about 40 + days all together! Not bad for opposite sides of the country) We dont know what God has in store for us next year, in 5 years, or 20 years but right now He has us at the Hallows so we are renewing our lease for the 1st time as a married couple! 

Comments

Popular Posts