Grandmothers

Grandmother and Leighton
Leighton, Mema and I

With Wes' grandmothers in 2008

We went to Union City TN last week. First time Leighton met Wes' Grandmother. She had already met Wes' Mema but we stayed with her so they got to visit again. I always enjoy going to the town where Wes grew up. Since I didnt know him when he lived there, I feel like I learn something new about his childhood/teenage years everytime we go. We were able to catch up with family, old church members, and some of Wes' high school friends. It was a great time. But my favorite part of the weekend was the conversations I had with his two grandmothers. In the past 4 years I lost both my grandmothers who I was very close with. I miss them terribly but I am thankful to have Wes' grandmothers in my life. They are both 85 years old but still live alone, drive, garden, play golf, etc. Most importantly they both still have excellent minds and I spent several hours over the weekend asking them questions about their lives as young moms. I knew they had to deal with cloth diapers but I didnt know they had "formula". Their formula consisted of mixing of Carnation Evaporating Milk, water, and Karo syrup in a bottle! The doctors told them to add a little extra Karo if constipated and take some away if the baby had diarrhea. Of course this works because is straight sugar! But the thing that is crazy to me the most is that pregnant ladies were able to smoke during labor! Grandmother and Mema also told me "crib death" or SIDS existed, colic babies were around, and some women back then, just as now, still had trouble having babies. I learned Grandmother had a daughter, Judith, that died shortly after birth. It is crazy how times have changed but also how they are still so similar! Anyways...we had a wonderful trip and though I miss my Gran and Ma very much and wish they would have been able to meet my daughter, I love watching Mema and Grandmother enjoy Leighton!
Ma and I at one of my wedding showers. 
Loving on Ma during Thanksgiving 2008
As Gran watched me help her cook on Easter 2006 she told me I needed lessons : )  

Comments

Popular Posts