Merry Christmas

Several people have asked me what are family tradition is for Christmas. What do you guys do on Christmas Eve or Day? How do you celebrate? Since we moved to Seattle 4 years ago we have spent the last 4 Christmases here away from family. A couple of years I have worked on Christmas day which wasnt so bad because we didnt really have plans and the kids are young. This year I dont have to work which is nice.

The girls have been wearing these soft, red pjs from Mom all week long. I love their friendship and that they have each other. I hope they make room for #3 to join them.

Yesterday on Christmas Eve, I worked a little, then we took the girls ice skating for the first time. Sadie didn't know what to think about it all but I loved how small and cute her little ice skates were. Both girls enjoyed it. They had to take turns going out on the ice with Wes. I think his back was sore from bending over holding them so they wouldn't fall. I thought it would be wise if I didn't risk falling on baby so I stood on the sidelines taking pictures. Leighton felt like Elsa and Anna from Frozen and didn't want to leave but after an hour or so both girls were worn out.
That night we attended a Christmas Eve service. We actually let both girls hold the real candles during Silent Night. No one was burned but Sadie would keep "accidentally" blowing out her candles. It was so nice to worship last night even if it wasn't with our community.
The sovereign creator has become a slave to creation so that we might be saved - D.Platt 
The Son of God became man to enable men to become sons of God- C.S. Lewis 

Anyways I didnt really have an answer for our family tradition for Christmas day. What we did this year is have a good size brunch (egg dish and cinnamon roll casserole) and open our gifts to each other which didn't take long. Last year we trialed getting the girls each 3 gifts after the Wise Men: “gold” present, or something a child would want and treasure; a “frankincense” present, or a gift that will be used in worship or spiritual life; and a “myrrh” present, which is something for the body. I liked doing this again because it is simple, keeps me grounded and I am easily able to refocus that they are getting gifts as a symbol of how the wisemen brought Jesus gifts. Though one night Leighton told me, "you know Mom we will get more than 3 gifts becuase of Mema, Grandmother, Aunt Katie, Connor, Grami and Mimi...." Yes I know sweet heart. They love you and like to give you gifts too :) But as for mom, we will open just 3 on Christmas day. So this year that meant the girls got....

Gold: Sadie- toy computer because the kid loves electronics and pushing buttons
          Leighton- Merida (from Brave) bow and arrow set
Frankincense: Sadie- New Testament Puzzle
                        Leighton- another R.C. Spoul book, The Lightlings 
Myrrh: Both girls- Gymnastic punch cards for open play and leotards  
 Wes let Leighton borrow one of his targets he got in his stocking, reluctantly.

For a late lunch, one of my coworkers invited us over to eat. We enjoyed getting to spend time with them as well.

 Also a big thanks to Mema for sending us some of her pecans straight from KY. We have roasted them with cinnamon and sugar for ourselves and friends! They even made some peoples day at the nursing home on Christmas.
 Merry Christmas! 



Comments

Popular Posts