Wes and Casey Take Boston (and ASHP Conference)

In Boston this past week, the ASHP (American Society of Health-SYstem Pharmacy) held their summer meeting that focuses on Medication Safety/Informatics/Ambulatory. Since that directly ties to my job of medication safety, the Clinic graciously sent me (along with other pharmacists) to attend. I enjoyed the conference session, continuing education, getting to meet other medications safety pharmacist from across the country, and I also shared a poster presentation on a project I had worked on.
Since the conference was a from Sat- Wed, I brought my best friend, Wes so I would have someone to explore the city. Wes had never been to Boston, and I was like 10 last time I was there, so we both were kind of experiencing it for the first time. Wes kept himself busy with history and exploration during the day while I was in sessions. Then we would explore and eat on lunch breaks or in the evening. 
 The city is SO walkable. Not so much on the biking compared to Seattle but so walkable. I think we did 8+ miles (or said my watch) each day and we barely even realized it. Everywhere their are local shops and restaurants. And people! People everywhere which I guess supports the ample amount of cute places to eat or shop.
 Best cupcakes we ate (and went back for a second time) were at Georgetown Cupcakes.
I loved the brick old buildings that were preserved and had shops/food on bottom level and housing above. (I did look at cost and it is beyond expensive... in like all areas of town!) 
We stumbled upon Mass General Hospital (first hospital in America) museum which was FREE, small, and well done! 
 The Beacon Hill neighborhood was very cute and less crowded than North End.
 North End contained some good seafood and Italian eateries. It was also home to Paul Revere and the 300+ old church still standing that he warned the British were coming!
 While continuing on the Freedom Trail walk we saw many pretty buildings and gravesites of people like Paul Revere, Sam Adams, and John Hancock.
We passed the Boston Market but chose Pauli's lobster roll that was delicious and reasonably priced.
Little chocolate shop was yummy too
One day Wes rented a car so he could explore farther areas such as Harvard and USS Constitution. So on my lunch break he picked me up and we visited Harvard together. 
It was a pretty campus but mostly cool to see the only remaining building from the original campus. Harvard is the oldest higher education in America 1632.
Harvard Square had many good resturants. But the dessert place, Milk Store, that uses cereal milk to make ice cream was a must stop! 
The Boston Cream Milkquake was amazing. 
 Since we had a rented car for the day, after my last session, Wes picked me up and we did the short 45 minute drive to Plymouth.
 Plymouth rock
 Cape Cod Bay 
 More walking around pretty buildings the next day.
And another delicious lobster roll at Girl Salty on Newbury St. However the clam chowder was equally as yummy. 
Sucker for pretty, unique old doors and libraries 
 And an evening game at Fenway Park was super fun. I love the small atmosphere and history yet again.
 Dinner our last night was back in North End, this time a small italian restaurant, Giacomo! Dessert down the street at Mike's Pastry for famous and delicious cannolis
 Ended the evening walking/subway riding to Boston Harbor to see tea party location!

 Night Boston (great view from top of Prudential Tower) 
Great quality time with uninterrupted conversations with Wes. It is amazing how efficient we were sight seeing and how easy it is to get into restaurants when you just need a table for two! But FaceTiming wasn't sufficing and we were missing our little people.... so good to be home with them! And HUGE shout out to my mom for making it happen and caring for the kids solo for 4 days! 

Comments

Popular Posts