Resurrection Day

 Resurrection Day! We have tried to keep Easter about Easter over the years with the kids. Like most holidays, cultural traditions can creep in and over shadow the actual reason we are celebrating. At the grocery store Leighton saw the chocolate bunnies this year and asked me why they were associated with Easter. I told her Easter represents new life in Christ and over time people have transitioned that into celebrating new life of earthly creations. Bunnies, eggs, flowers and more represent new birth and life. She thought for a moment and said "I think it should be a chocolate rooster. If you are going to pick an animal, choose the rooster. Peter denied Jesus and the rooster crowed before the crucifixion". I didn't really want to celebrate Peter denying Jesus to be honest. But I also didn't want to not support her thought process and have a fun activity! So on amazon, of course, I found chocolate rooster molds. We made chocolate rooster for the kids and they took some to their teachers at school. I told Leighton the cool thing from the story of Peter denying Jesus was that Jesus knew it was going to happen like he knows our sins, but Jesus also prayed for Peter. "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you Simon, that your Faith may not fail. and when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."Luke 22:31-32.
Jesus interceded for Peter, just like He does for us. Peter went on to repent, was restored, and used by God to be a bold witness for Jesus later. Please Lord, use me and forgive me for the all the times I have denied you. The roosters just might become an Easter tradition. 
Our friends, the MacMillans, invited us over for brunch today. It was a yummy and sweet time with friends. Lauren had filled eggs with stickers and gummies so the kids did a hunt in the front yard. They loved it. Colin read scripture to the kids from The Gospel Story Bible: Discovery Jesus in the Old and New Testaments. It seemed like something I needed to purchase so sharing it with others! 

The rest of the day was a mixture of tension between Wes and I, us and the kids, and kid-to-kid arguing before, during and after church that night. Such a timely reminder, there is no "Sunday best". Every day sinners in this house in need of a Savior. Thankful for the Risen King. 
Hallows Church in our new space 
we had to go buy them sandwiches 10 minutes before church due to  hanger 
the day still had some giggles and smiles :) 

Comments

Popular Posts