The Thief

I have been thinking about a quote I heard and wanted to share.… "Comparison is the thief of joy". How are we suppose to become like Jesus when we are more concerned about becoming like someone else? Literally it applies more than you think… I realized at work I was comparing my schedule to someone else's wishing I had less evening shifts, I noticed I compared the fact that I go to work against a stay at mom, I compare my clothes, my body, my looks, my instagram picture "likes", my attitude, my ministry, my relationships, and on and on. I doubt I am alone so I am wondering if there is more people like me who are missing joy. Joy, that everlasting peace, is honestly the only thing I really want yet daily my mind slips into comparing the worldly things I have to (ironically) the world. Sometimes we may not even know we are sucked into it. Take some time to reflect on how you have partaken in comparison today. Its shocking and who honestly wants joy to be stolen? The idols that end up ruling the heart will shape the life and behavior we live. The missional community leaders at church are reading "Instruments in the Redeemers Hand" . It is a great book. For a long time I have wished I had some biblical counseling schooling and even though this is not formal education, it is a great tool. It is honest truth that I need to be reminded of daily and helps you to know how to help others. So with that said, how can we prevent joy being stolen? The book talks about how the Bible is God's mirror to reveal our hearts. It does just that, exposes sin and reveals truth. We must be committed to examining our hearts biblically. Then and only with the help of the Holy Spirit will the root change (heart) occur and effect behavior. The heart's desires (a lot of the time determined by comparison) control our behavior.  So not only is our joy stolen by comparing but again how we will live our life we result from it which in the viscus cycle will again steal your joy. Only when we are united with Christ and indwell by the Holy Spirt can we say no to the desires of the sinful nature. Thanks for listening to me preach to myself and I get no commission for book sales but total recommend "Instruments in the Redeemers Hands"


Comments

Popular Posts