Sadia's Baby Shower



My typical response when I see someone in need/sad situation/poor/etc is to hurt. I put myself in their shoes and it kills me. Im sure that is how most of us feel. Then where does my mind go? Guilt. I think why do I have a house, job, husband….? But then I read this 2 days ago and it has stuck with me.

"When we bump into people in need, it’s never supposed to be about our guilt, but always and only received as a GIFT." - Lisa Jo Baker

As the above author goes on to explain, God is not interested in our guilt. He doesn't want us to feel bad because we have material items. And we need to remember we are not blessed because we have those things (see Matthew 5). We are blessed when we serve. We are blessed when we say yes to God's invitation to participate (though sometimes unexpected and uncomfortable) in His gift. God is extending the invitation for us to participate in what He is already doing and will continue to do whether we participate or not.  I love how she says:

"He already is enough. He will accomplish His Kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven. Whether we choose to participate or not.He’s simply, generously inviting us to be part of that wild, miraculous journey with Him."  -Lisa Jo Baker

I don't want to decline that invitation. I know I have missed it time and time again. Today was fun because we participated in one of His invitations. My awesome friends who have been willing to participate through this entire relationship with Sadia again joined me today to throw her a baby shower. She loved it and smiled all morning. She spoke of how in the past few months she feels happy and hopeful and is creating a new memory of life in her head that is good. She said she felt loved for the first time. We reassured her that we love her but also that God does. It was a beautiful picture watching her feel God's arm around her and it was a gift to all of us at baby shower to get to witness it. Amazing.

Here are some pictures from shower. Note the dinner mints, mix nuts and punch… had to give her a traditional shower since it was her first!

the baristas making coffee for us since I don't know how

I had all the ladies write encouraging, wisdom, and words of love for her in a journal instead of doing games this time. Seemed more appropriate in the moment. 
Melissa made a diaper cake! Thankful for her. 

Comments

Popular Posts