The Wedding Dress

Funny how being at the house you grew up in can make you nostalgic. It first started when Mom brought out my beloved Polly Pockets from the early 1990s. I enjoyed those so much as a kid. I tried to get Leighton interested but it was definitely me dominating the set up and being the giddy kid.
Next, the nostalgia continued as the girls would point to wedding pictures of Wes and I all over the house. I can not believe that was 6 and 1/2 years ago. We look so young! We were free of sleepless night bags, wrinkles from caregiving 24/7 for the past 3 + years, and we can see how neglect for yourself/your body can make you want not want to wear a swimsuit. 
Then the conversation shifted to Leighton trying on my wedding dress during an episode of "Say Yes to the Dress". I asked mom where my dress was and she said in a box.We decided there is no reason to keep in boxed up, we should either sell it/give it away or putting it up as decor. It does not look as glamorous as some I found online but the concept is the same....
But it still looks alright, right? At least I told Mom it did....
And the little girl's big debut in Mom's dress...she was so excited but so serious. 
When I asked her who she was going to marry she replied "Daddy, when he takes off his ring."  She was so excited to show Wes. All she wanted to do was dance with Daddy.
And the cliche song came to mind: 
"She'll change her name today.
She'll make a promise and I'll give her away.
Standing in the bride-room just staring at her.
She asked me what I'm thinking and I said 
"I'm not sure-I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl."
She leaned over

Gave me butterfly kisses with her mama there,
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair
"Walk me down the aisle, Daddy-it's just about time."
"Does my wedding gown look pretty, Daddy? Daddy, don't cry"
Oh, with all that I've done wrong I must have done something right.
To deserve her love every morning and butterfly kisses"

Comments

Popular Posts