How it went down...L & D


Many people have asked if Sadie's entrance into the world was as dramatic as Leighton's. The answer is no... I actually labored at the hospital this time! Wes, as much as I, felt so much anxiety and anticipation about how labor/delivery would go for Sadie, because of our one and only previous child birthing experience, that we were happy when the contractions started to come! Here is the play-by-play while it is still fresh on my mind:

Tues 7/16/13
11:00 pm - I noticed contractions (belly tightening with some cramping) that were not too regular (maybe every 15-20 minutes) while we watched the series finally of Friday Night Lights (5 seasons in a few weeks...check) - Drank a ton of water because I wanted to rule out false labor due to dehydration 

11:30 pm -Went to bed and determined plan would be if the contractions continue (could be regularly timed) and increased in pain (enough to wake me) we would prepare to go to hospital

Wed 7/17/13
12:30 am - Contractions kept me awake so we timed them (every 10 min) and I decided that I would drink more water and walk around to see if they continued

1:00 am - Called on-call doctor and she said come in if contractions were every 5 min and intensified (she was very nice and ended up delivering Sadie but she wasnt my regular doctor who knew history) so I said okay on phone but Wes and I got dressed and headed to Swedish First Hill Hospital. (Mom was here to stay with L)

1:15 am - Arrived at hospital and I told Wes that we would go into triage if they contractions continued but if not we were turning around and going home (already had a couple false alarms due to our eagerness). We walked slowly and Wes convinced me to be seen since we were there but I wasnt convinced I was going to be anymore dilated than my previous state of 2 cm

1:30 am - We check in and doctor saw us in triage. I am now 5-6 cm she says and during the check my water broke. So it was game time and we were staying now no matter what! Wes and I were all smiles as we moved to our delivery room. I got into a gown (unlike with L's birth) and we were please to be at a hospital. Our RN was very nice and supportive. She asked me my birth plan. I told her I didnt have a written one but wanted to "walk her out" meaning not be hooked up to meds or lying in a bed. I told her I had Leighton naturally and fast so she hooked me up to wireless contraction and heart beat monitors. 

2:30 am - Contractions started coming every 2-4 minutes apart and were the worst back, hip and thigh pain ever! Our smiles turned to grimace. Wes tells me I am silent laborer as I guess I just would stare, grit teeth and not respond until each contraction was over. I prayed through each one that the pain would end and I would feel urge to push. Since my water broke, they said no more checking dilation to decrease risk of infection. 

2:45 am - Some lady down the hall is screaming bloody murder so Wes turns on TV to drown her out.  It was freaking me out the way she was yelling as the doctors were telling her to push. 

3:00 am - Contractions are SO painful and starting to become constant... I was not getting any relief in between and almost wanted to cry. I was still standing/leaning on something or walking around at this point. 

3:30 am - Feel some pressure and desire to push a little ... so RN checks me....8 cm (so close but how long till 10 cm!)

3:34- ish am - Tell her again after next contraction I need to push! She checks me and baby is crowning (so 8 to 10 cm didnt take long). RN calls doctor from on-call room and tells me not to push

3:35 am- Doctor making her way but in the mean time RN calls for any doctor at front desk and other RNs to come and ask me to hold baby in (VERY HARD!!!) but then Dr McKeever arrived! 

3:36 am- Push twice (RELIEF) and hear a beautiful noise... a baby crying! Such an out - of - body experience! 

All in all labor was fast and I am thankful that the worst part was short lived. Happy to only be in hospital about 2 hours before she was born and just happy to be there instead of us delivering at home or in a car! Glad I got to have her naturally without complications. Wes said the feeling of helplessness resurfaced again as he watch the contractions but I think he is great and happy he was with me even though I didnt want him doing any talking or back rubs. Does. Not. Help. The staff at Swedish was great and we had a nice stay. We were only required to stay one night since everything seems to check out well and we happily said "send us home" as we missed Leighton.
first picture!
getting weighed 
first bath...lady styled her hair :)  
proud daddy
Heading home! 
So crazy and just a plain miracle how this little baby was growing and living in me only hours/day before these pictures were taken. I know babies are born every minute but each one is so cool. God's work and the way he designed it all is amazing. 
Leighton brought her Thomas Books to read to Sadie in hospital : ) 
Side Note....
#1 best thing about not being pregnant: get to sleep on belly again! 
#1 worst thing about not being pregnant: I had to say hello to an old friend....ugh!








Comments

Popular Posts