First Broken Bone

Wes called me on Friday afternoon at 215pm at work. I thought he was going to ask me if I was able to leave around 3 so we could get on the road to Louisville. Instead Wes said, "I am headed to Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital to take Leighton to ED. I think she broke her arm in PE. Meet me there." Not the call you want to get. Leighton had tripped during gym class and landed on her left elbow. (at least she is right handed?) I wasn't that anxious driving but I also didn't know the process for broken arms. They were the only people in the pediatric ED. The RN, PA, and child life were in the room and very nice. Next was x-ray time. Leighton was not in too much pain after they gave her some pain meds. As soon as the PA saw the x-ray, she said "she is going to need surgery." Surgery! I didn't know that was a possibility. I thought broken arms just got cast! Shows what I know. This set off some anxiety for me. When you know what can go wrong, what the PACU and OR as suppose to do, what errors we see, etc... plus Leighton having to have anesthesia.. Next the ED doctor told us we would likely have to be transported via ambulance to Cleveland Clinic Main Campus so a pediatric orthopedic surgeon could operate. Not 5 minutes later, the same doctor came back with good news. A pediatric orthopedic surgeon happened to be still at Fairview campus today and could do the surgery next.
They got an IV in her (which was Leighton's least favorite part), wheeled her up to pre-op, we met the surgeon and team, Wes went back with her as she was put under, and then 45 minutes later it was over! We were discharged within 5 hours of coming in! So fast! And such a relief to not have to stay the night. Also her surgery of her displaced elbow didn't take as long as the surgeon was able to put into place and hold with pins instead of having to cut her open. They use external x-rays to check their work, I think? We really liked our surgeon, he had good bedside manner and was very personable. Thank you Lord for orchestrating all of that!
Levi supporting sister 



Last Tuesday she was able to get a hard cast outpatient. She picked the color purple. Now having friends is the fun part.




Comments

Popular Posts