We've got a Kindergartner

It seems like yesterday that she was Levi's age, 5 months, and we were driving across country. Wes and I were wide eyed as we saw the terrain South Dakota, Montana, and Washington had to offer for the first time. Now here we sit, 5 years later, and Leighton is the wide-eyed little girl excited to start Kindergarten. She will be attending Seattle Classical Christian School this year. We are excited for this school year. Her teacher is Mrs Marshman who seems amazing. I mean she emailed us the week before school started and asked how she could be praying for Leighton. Love. We will take it one year at a time with private school but hopefully all goes well! 
You think I got enough first day of school pics?
She loved packing her backpack with snacks, getting her water bottle ready, and talking about all things school the day before. They had to wear their dress uniform on the first day so we laid it out the night before. Yesterday I gave her my favorite book from elementary school, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a "starting school gift." We spent yesterday reading it. I knew she would love it because she has the biggest sweet tooth and we live on the same street as a chocolate factory. I also had her tell me what she wanted to be when she grew up as of yesterday....doctor is the answer at moment. She drew her school in her journal too. 
 Everyone kept asking me how I was handling the transition. I didn't think to much about it because she did 3 days a week of half day pre-K last year and this is just 5 days of half day K. But I think the hype of this momentous milestone did stir some emotions. I mean there are sign up sheets, field trips, uniforms, school supply list, carpool coordinating and more! Our lives do not just revolve our jobs, our church family or our own family anymore. Now we have another group to consider, SCCS. We are sucked into the school system now and she has to go everyday!
The whole family went this morning for drop off and pick up. When we got out of the car to initially drop off Leighton, Sadie says 'I don't know if I can do this" in an excited/nervous tone. Was she mocking me? I snagged some more pictures of her getting settled in the room and her seat.  

After we dropped her off, the four of us decided donuts were then a good idea. The lady checking me out asked how my day was going. I told her I just dropped off my oldest at kindergarten for first time. She said "all the feels." You are correct. 
Excitement, nervousness, scared. My maternal instinct to protect her, wanting to be available to comfort her if something doesn't go smooth, or wanting to stand up for her if someone bosses her around or makes fun of her. It is just the beginning of releasing her into the world. Praying that Wes and I can continue to disciple and make wise decisions for her but also let her go. Praying for God to hold her and go before her in kindergarten, 1st grade and so on. Praying that she loves others and gains confidence as a child of God so what others say or think don't influence/effect her. Praying His protection, guidance, love and comfort surround her because I can't be that for her. I am not her Savior. He is. 
Happy first day of Kindergarten to my eager, sweet, selfless, content, and loving little girl! We love you so much! My little Sadie bug starts Preschool for the first time tomorrow! She has been looking at Leighton's old year book to get excited! She has been talking big about how she wants to be dropped off and for us to leave her. We will see how tomorrow goes little one....and pray for Wes! I am working and he has to get 2 kids to 2 different schools on time with a baby!!

Comments

Popular Posts